Menasha Corporation: Attains Green Masters level status
WI Sustainable Business Council Menasha Corporation
Tom Eggert Kristine Pavletich
Executive Director Director of Corporate Communications
[Madison, Wis. (December 20, 2018)] – The Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council has named Menasha Corporation a Green Master within its Green Masters Program. Recognizing sustainable actions by businesses from across the state of Wisconsin, the Green Masters program works to identify businesses that have taken at least one action within each of the nine pillars of ‘sustainability’. Participants in the program (almost 200 in calendar year 2017) receive recognition for their sustainability accomplishments and develop ideas for future sustainability actions.
Menasha Corporation is honored to be recognized as a 2018 Green Master within the Green Masters Program for the eighth consecutive year. Their commitment to the protection of the environment though sustainable practices is ongoing, and some of their 2018 accomplishments include:
• A 90% reduction in water use since 2010 despite more than doubling the size of the company during that time
• A 7% reduction in waste since 2013, including one corrugated plant reduction of 45,000 lbs. of waste in 2017, and another plant saving 125,000 lbs. of waste paper
• Installed three new eco-friendly presses over the past 18 months
• One of their business units, ORBIS Corporation headquartered in Oconomowoc, Wis., is a business based on a circular “make, use, return” manufacturing model, allowing a plastic containers or pallets to be reused many times before the end of its useful life
• Receiving several sustainability awards and certifications, including the Distinguished Performer Award for Sustainability as part of the Deloitte Wisconsin 75 program, a Top Green Provider for four consecutive years by Food Logistics Magazine, the Wisconsin DNR Green Tier Program, Forest Stewardship Council, Sustainable Forestry Initiative, Energy Star®, ISTA-6 Series Amazon, and a LEED Gold® certification for their headquarters building in Neenah, Wis.
• Additionally, they publish an annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report providing their sustainable activities and accomplishments, available in the Sustainability section on their website at www.menashacorporation.com.
The Green Masters Program is an objective, points-based recognition and assessment program that enables Wisconsin businesses of all sizes and from any sector to join a group of like-minded companies that are on the road to sustainability. The program has established three levels of participation: Green Apprentice, Green Professional, and Green Master. Appleton Coated joined the program as a Green Master in 2011. Each year at the Wisconsin Sustainable Business Conference, the top 20 percent of companies that applied during the calendar year are identified and recognized as the Green Masters level companies for the year.
“Being a Green Master gives Wisconsin businesses of all sizes and sectors objective criteria to compare sustainability performance against their peers and to justifiably claim they are ‘on the road to sustainability, ’” said Tom Eggert, president of the Wisconsin Sustainable Business Council. “Menasha received a solid qualifying score, and we are pleased to recognize the company as a Green Master.”
Kristine Pavletich, Director of Corporate Communications, says, “Being a part of the Green Masters Program is an honor for our company because it validates the importance we place on sustainability and being good stewards of our environment. We understand that being assessed for our sustainability performance helps ensure we remain accountable for our actions and through the program we gain an appreciation for best practices in the manufacturing sector.”
The WI Sustainable Business Council is a network of Wisconsin businesses that are leaders in integrating principles of sustainability into business operations. The business case for sustainability (defined in terms of people, planet and profit) has never been stronger. Wisconsin businesses are playing a leadership role in not only ensuring the protection and preservation of our natural resources but in creating a vibrant and growing economy. The Council provides best-in-class sustainability resources and brings businesses together to share knowledge, experiences and tools. Find us on the web at www.wisconsinsustainability.
About Menasha Corporation
Menasha Corporation is a leading corrugated and plastic packaging manufacturer and supply chain solutions provider specializing in retail merchandising packaging and displays, plastic reusable containers and pallets, protective packaging interiors, and packaging supply chain and fulfillment services. Menasha Corporation’s products and services are used by major food, beverage, consumer products, healthcare, pharmaceutical, industrial and automotive companies. Established in 1849, Menasha Corporation is one of America’s oldest privately held, family-owned manufacturing companies. Headquartered in Neenah, Wisconsin, the company employs approximately 6,400 employees in 120 facilities in North America and Europe. For more information, visit www.menashacorporation.com.